Today is the day! Potter and I embark on a new journey, road-tripping across the USA together. Planning for a road trip can be stressful at times, especially if weather is unpredictable or if you’ve just never been to a lot of these places (ahem, me) and don’t know what to expect. While the thought can be super intimidating, the unpredictability is part of the fun!
A few weeks ago, Potter suggested I put together a blog post about road trip car essentials, with his help of course, as we carefully prepared and packed our car with the must-haves. These are some things that will be traveling with us on our trip this month!
CONVENIENCE & COMFORT
- Pillows | You just never know when you’ll need to pull off and take a nap!
- Blankets | Fleece is preferable… oh, and the ones that break the chill.
- Towels | These always come in handy, especially when you are soaking wet from the rain or snow in winter… and want to dry off.
- Umbrellas | There is nothing better than feeling dry and comfortable while driving across country.
- Portable phone chargers | Because we can’t live without our phones these days.
- Emergen-C | Prevention is key!
- “The Idea Book” & a pen | This is basically an empty notebook waiting to be filled with lots of ideas and thoughts that come to mind during the long drive.
- Make-up remover wipes | Okay, this one’s mostly geared toward us girls who wear make-up (and should NOT wear make-up to sleep under any circumstances)… but having wet wipes in the car wouldn’t be a bad idea, either.
- A comfy sleeping outfit | You’ll want to be able to easily change in and out of day clothes and sleep clothes on days/times you end up crashing in your car. Don’t forget the socks!
- Tissue box | I guarantee you, you’ll find a use for tissue somewhere, somehow.
- A lightweight, easy-to-use camera… or a smart phone with a good camera | You just never know when that perfect moment will be! My iPhone 6 will definitely be nearby and ready to snap awesome scenic photos along the way.
SURVIVAL & SAFETY
- Water bottles | Don’t forget to stay hydrated!
- Non-perishable snacks | There is nothing worse than being stranded somewhere possibly, with absolutely nothing to eat when you’re starving.
- Snow chains | It’s actually illegal to NOT have these during crazy snow conditions!
- Flashlight / head lamp | Always be alert.
- Spare tire | Always be prepared.
- Medicine bag: Tylenol, Tums, Dayquil & Nyquil | Just in case Emergen-C doesn’t work and you do get sick…
- First-aid kit: bandaids, Neosporin | This one’s pretty standard across any glove compartment these days, no?
- Hand Sanitizer | Because there won’t be a sink handy every time you need it.
- Roadside emergency kit | Self-explanatory?
- WD-40 | Just in case you need to grease/fix anything up (that’s not what she said!!).
- Duct tape | Just in case you need to securely fix something by adhesive.
Any frequent road-trippers out there? Are there any other items you’d recommend we have handy in the car on our road trip?