Being stylish may seem like a lot of effort sometimes, but it doesn’t have to be far-fetched. Just a little bit of effort everyday will go a long way, and soon before you know it, you’ll be effortlessly stylish on a day-to-day basis. Consider practicing these daily habits that will instantly up your style game! 🙂
Staying organized is key to maintaining that stylish demeanor. It goes without saying that when your closet is organized, you’re likely to feel at ease & not so overwhelmed like you would every time you walk into a messy closet. So, this part might take a little extra time, but set aside a weekend to completely sort everything out, and then use every day after that to maintain it! Not only will you look stylish going out the door, your home visitors will think you have a stylish closet, too. Some things to consider are:
- Throwing out or donating old clothes that you no longer wear to keep your closet clutter-free and updated with the things you actually wear and love
- Code by colour — this one is very useful because you can just head on over to the desired colour palette of the day and select an item of your choice to wear. This goes with bags, shoes, and clothes!
- Code by style/type — sweaters with sweaters, jackets with jackets, denim with denim… you get the picture. This is another must to keep everything in order, and again, goes with bags, shoes, clothes, and other accessories you may have.
- Code by popularity — as the owner of all the clothes in your closet, you know what looks best on you and what you tend to wear most. Keep these easier to reach so you don’t have to fumble through piles of clothing to find what you’re looking for on a regular basis.
Planning ahead can really eliminate the chaos and stress of getting ready and looking stylish. If I’ve got a long day ahead of me the next day, I like to check the weather for the next day & pick out my clothes and accessories the night before accordingly. That way, when I get up, I don’t have to scour around for clothes to wear — I simply put on everything I took out the night before, and out the door I go!
PRACTICE GARMENT CARE
Extend the shelf life of your wardrobe pieces by taking good care of them! Nothing makes a person more stylish than wearing clothes looking the way they are supposed to look. For example, creased bras can sometimes look obviously awkward under a tight-fitted camisole or shirt, or a snagged sweater can make you look homeless (okay, maybe not that bad, but still, you get the idea). Here are some basic garment care tips to get you started:
- If you must wash your bras in the washing machine, place them in a mesh bag, hooked properly, so that they can be washed without snagging any other articles of clothing. Do not put your bras in the dryer!
- Do not hang your sweaters, especially knit sweaters. They will stretch from being hung, so it’s highly recommended to fold them up nicely and place them on a shelf.
- Denim does not need to be washed regularly — see my blog post on proper jean care here.
- Hang up your jewelry somewhere to avoid them getting tangled & ruined.
- Put away shoes that you don’t wear often in their original shoe boxes (and take them out when you’re ready to wear them) to keep them in mint condition.
- Similar to shoes, you’ll want to put your expensive handbags in their original dust bags to keep them looking good as new when you’re not wearing them.
WEAR THE RIGHT UNDERGARMENTS
I can’t stress this enough. Your outfit could be on point, but if you’re wearing thick underwear under a thin skirt, it’s sort of hard to NOT focus on that… don’t let your undergarments distract the beauty of your outfit! You can never go wrong with nude or black seamless panties and an everyday strapless T-shirt bra. Also, be careful with lace, because while they are super sexy and comfy to wear, they can sometimes disrupt the “seamlessness” of a look depending on what you’re going for.
PAY ATTENTION TO POSTURE
Remember that the best accessory anyone can wear is confidence. With this in mind, keeping your posture on-point really helps to emphasize your stylish-ness (and lengthens your body, too)!
ALLOW YOURSELF AMPLE TIME TO GET READY
If you’re super organized and have everything planned out, you most likely can get ready in a jiffy, but it’s always good to allow a generous window of time for getting ready so you don’t feel rushed out the door.
Do you have any personal tips to share with me on how you up your style game?