Believe it or not, acne is something I’ve dealt with from my teen years, into my adulthood. While the breakouts aren’t nearly as bad as they used to be, they are still a nuisance to deal with when they do pop up. Makeup simply doesn’t sit on the face the same, and confidence levels drop. Sound familiar? Particularly, these days I get pimples around a week before my period. Then, they usually subside the week of. Acne can be reduced significantly with a healthy diet, plenty of water, and solid skincare habits, but I’ve found that it isn’t 100% avoidable. So, I’ve been relying on some staple skincare products to help keep those pesky breakouts at bay.
Looking to invest in quality products that will help clear your skin? Check out my current faves!
- Murad Clarifying Cleanser – This is my go-to cleanser! Formulated with two types of salicylic acid, this works to purify pores and treat acne, even after rinsing. At $30, it’s a little pricey for a cleanser, but worth every penny! Sometimes if I have a very stubborn pimple that won’t go away, I’ll spot treat overnight with a bit of this cleanser. In the morning, the inflammation is visibly reduced. If you have dry skin, you’ll want to make sure that you follow with a high quality moisturizer afterwards. I personally recommend Olay’s Regenerist Whip with SPF 25 in the mornings, and La Mer’s Moisturizing Cream at night.
- Patchology Breakout Box – If you’re looking for another spot treatment option, this box will be your best friend. The set comes with 24 pimple-shrinking salicylic acid dots, 24 whitehead-absorbing hydrocolloid dots, and 3 blackhead-eliminating nose strips. Whether you are looking to get rid of pimples, blackheads, or whiteheads, this breakout box will have your back! Luckily, I don’t get whiteheads and blackheads often. So, I mostly use the pimple dots at night to clear up acne.
- Foreo LUNA Play Plus Facial Cleansing Device – I’ve had mine for 3 years now and it’s still going strong! I love how this waterproof cleansing device is so portable. It works really well in conjunction with my cleanser to purify the skin with relaxing Sonic pulsations. The pulsations are very gentle so you don’t have to worry about the device being abrasive on the skin! The battery life is AMAZING too. I think I’ve only had to charge it once in the 3 years I’ve used it… and I use it DAILY!
- Avene Cleanance Expert – I was gifted this to try last year, and fell in love with it immediately. Not only does it smell like fresh spring water, it is super effective in treating acne. It’s an oil-free cream enriched with Diolényl and Monolaurin, which reduces bacteria and sebum production to give you a smooth complexion. I use this more as a spot treatment rather than a cream though, because it’s quite a small tube and I like to make it last as long as I can!
- Thayer’s Witch Hazel – Witch hazel is a must in my bathroom. You’d be surprised at how much dirt is still left on your face even after cleansing! Every night after I shower, I use a cotton round to apply witch hazel all over my face. Then, I follow with my usual serum and moisturizer. Thayer’s Witch Hazel is a gentle formula that works to get the last bits of debris, while tightening pores.
- Origins Out of Trouble 10-minute Mask – Regardless of whether you have oily or combination skin, this mask works MIRACLES on troubled skin. Infused with salicylic acid, zinc oxide, and sulfur, this mask quickly reduces oil shine, removes dead cells & impurities, and minimizes formation of acne. I love the tingle on my face when I apply it. It’s so soothing that I often forget to rinse at the 10-minute mark! Upon rinsing with warm water, my face is visibly smoother.
On top of staying consistent with my skincare routine, I’ve made a commitment to treat myself to a facial once every two months this year. I just got one about two weeks ago and am hoping to see improvement over time. Once you find a skilled esthetician, facials are a great way to not only relax & stay youthful, but also get a proper skin analysis & deep cleaning by a professional. Clogged pores and stubborn debris are some of the major acne culprits. However, I’m just not brave enough to do a chemical peel or extractions at home… so I leave that to my esthetician!
Do you have any products you swear by when it comes to fighting acne?