Before I decided to go “bronde,” I never knew how high-maintenance being blonde could be! I am definitely feeling my lighter locks, but my hair care routine has completely changed since I made the switch. Since I’m Asian, my hair naturally has red undertones, which can be problematic when trying to go lighter. In fact, many with dark locks will say that they get brassy hair easily after trying to lighten it.
I used to wash my hair everyday, with regular shampoo & conditioner — apply and wash off after lather… pretty simple, and typical. Since I got my lighter locks, my hair routine in the shower went from a quick 2 minutes to up to 6-10 minutes! This is because I now religiously use purple shampoo & conditioner to restore and maintain my ashy “bronde” hair that I came out of the salon with. Purple shampoo & conditioner is NOT just for blondes — brunettes can use it as well and it will tone down the orange/yellow tones, leaving you with a nice true brown colour instead. In short, it does a great job preventing hair from becoming brassy.
When I first found out about this formula, I was intrigued to learn that the rich purple colour could combat any orange/yellow hues and restore ashy blonde hair. There are many purple shampoos out in the market, but word has it that the Shimmer Lights line by Clairol will give you the best bang for your buck, and works just as well as the more expensive ones. Basically, the darker the colour, the better. Shimmer Lights, to my surprise was quite the dark purple. But, I guess at the same time, I didn’t really know what to expect. I’ll have to admit — it’s a bit fun to see purple water coming off the head in the shower. However, be sure to clean up as the colour can stain!
CURRENT HAIR CARE ROUTINE
- I used to be hardcore OCD about needing to wash my hair on the daily, but unfortunately this had to change for the sake of my hair’s deteriorating health & texture from bleaching. I now wash my hair every other day or every other 2 days if I’m not too active.
- On days I don’t wash, I’ll either tie my hair up in a bun or use Suave’s Keratin Infusion (Color-Safe) dry shampoo to lift the oils. To look more polished, I’ll add some loose waves with a deep waver.
- First, I use 1/2 part regular sulfate free shampoo (by Kirkland sold at Costco) with 1/2 part purple shampoo. I leave this in for 2 minutes, and then I rinse.
- Next, I follow with 1/2 part regular sulfate free conditioner (also by Kirkland) with 1/2 part purple conditioner. I leave this in for 2-3 minutes, and use a wide-tooth comb to comb out any tangles. Afterward, I rinse.
- NOTE: Leaving the products in your hair for too long can tint your hair lavender purple. Don’t leave it on for too long if this is not your intention!
- Every other wash, I spend a little more time in the shower and use a deep conditioner. Both the purple shampoo & conditioner are super drying. Aussie’s 3 Minute Miracle Moist was on sale for just a little over a dollar on Amazon and had raving reviews, so I decided to try it for myself. I must say that it is probably the best dollar I’ve spent in a loooong time! It is ultra moisturizing and completely reversed my dry, damaged hair from all this processing. The best part is I could feel the difference even after just the first use!
- Occasionally, I like to use Argan Oil as a leave-in conditioner. I’ve found that this helps to prevent the ends from drying too much and splitting.
These before & after photos were taken on my iPhone, #nofilter. The “after” photo was taken after one week of my new hair routine. As you can see, my “bronde” locks have been restored, and the red/orange undertones have been significantly reduced! I’ve been using this routine for over a year now. Needless to say, my locks currently appear even ashier than it does in the “after” photo. I never used to have to do so much when it came to my hair; it’s probably the most high maintenance part of me… but what can I say? Blondes have more fun!
Anyone recently go “bronde” or blonde? How do you maintain the ashy colour over time?
Featured Image by Marlena Pearl
anti brass ashy blonde hair asian blonde asian gone blonde beauty beauty blogger beauty tips bleached hair care blonde blondes have more fun brassy hair bronde bronde hair brondes brunette color treated hair colour care fblogger hair advice hair care hair care routine hair colour care hair styling hair stylist hair tips keep blonde hair blonde maintain ashy blonde hair maintaining hair color prevent brassy hair purple conditioner purple shampoo reverse orange hair reverse yellow hair shampoo and conditioner shimmer lights